What is a YardPod?
A YardPod is a detached, small, architectural space. Made for urban backyards and rural natural settings alike. The pods provide an affordable alternative to traditional building additions while meeting the various demands of modern lifestyles. Designed by Kreis Grennan Architecture, the sustainable tiny house is crafted as a beautiful architectural statement.
With a footprint of 4m x 6.5m the 26sqm YardPod includes a 12sqm bedroom/sitting area with birch plywood finished walls and ceilings, architectural windows and a generous 7.5sqm patio. The optional kitchen joinery with clever storage and a 3sqm bathroom allows the YardPod to be used as a fully self-contained secondary dwelling.
Built on a solid concrete slab, the walls and roof are constructed from engineered Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs), finished outside in corrugated metal and inside in natural oiled birch plywood with expressed joints and black fixtures. The roof maintains a low profile without dominating the open space and integrates well in established backyards or nature settings.
Large floor to ceiling windows enhance the sense of space and allow natural light and air to flow. The intelligent kitchen joinery is designed with integrated storage options, beautiful detailed in white-faced plywood and banded edges. The bathroom is finished in a bright and warm yellow, with white fixtures and black fittings.
TheYardPods have been designed as a sustainable alternative to traditional additions.
- An Architect will conduct a site analysis, identifying local conditions and optimal orientation.
- Designed for passive thermal management, heating in winter and cooling in summer.
- Effective cross ventilation by capturing breezes through windows.
- Earth coupled slab for thermal mass helps regulate indoor thermal comfort.
- Low power LED light fixtures throughout reduces energy consumption.
- Optional PV solar panels with battery storage bank and/or rain water tank.
- Engineered Structural Insulated Wall (SIP) panels with non-toxic EPS core, providing thermal and acoustic insulation.
- Low embodied energy by usage of light-weight, local sourced building materials.
- Construction with FSC certified plantation timber and plywood sheets.